No matter how new and efficient your battery is, sooner or later you will have to deal with a dying or dead battery. And when that time comes, you will end up spending lots of money, especially if you don’t know how to go about it. Ever heard of battery reconditioning? If this is the first time you’re hearing about it, the chances are that you’ve thrown away dead batteries. Batteries can be reconditioned to the extent that their performance match or even surpass that of new batteries, and the best part? You can do it yourself!
Gone are the days when dead or dying batteries would be a bother. Today, if your battery malfunctions, all you need to do is to recondition it. If all people would master tips on how to recondition a dead battery, then they would save the money that would have otherwise been used to purchase new batteries. One thing with battery manufacturers is that they won’t tell you that you can recondition your battery. That is expected, anyway. How will they make money if everyone learns to recondition their batteries?
Almost all types of batteries can be reconditioned. Those individuals who mastered the technique of reconditioning batteries early enough are making good money out of it. If your battery gets damaged, instead of buying a new one, you can consider going for these individuals as they will recondition it at a lower price. But, why would you look for someone to recondition it when you can easily learn how to do it yourself? Below is a guide on how to recondition batteries at home.
Reconditioning a car battery
Let us be honest. No one loves it when their car fails to start because of a faulty battery. Whether your battery failed when you were in a hurry to leave for work or when you were to head to a party, one thing remains constant—you’ll need to fix it. To recondition your car battery, you will need to follow these simple steps. You will need a syringe, battery charger, voltmeter, and distilled water.
- Remove the battery from the car and then remove the protective rubber from the caps. That done, remove all the caps. Normally, there would be six to seven caps.
- Pour the distilled water into the battery until it reaches the required level. Connect the battery to a charger and then charge it for approximately one hour. Do not put the caps back while recharging. Recharge the battery until you see some bubbles on the holes. Sometimes you may not be able to see the bubbles. If that happens, reverse the positive and negative wires for approximately two minutes. You should be able to see some bubbles. Reverse the wires again and then charge for another thirty minutes.
- Alternatively, instead of using distilled water, you can just replace the acid in the battery then mix with distilled water. That done, recharge the battery for some few hours. Either way, you should get a battery that will function just like a new battery.
Reconditioning a laptop battery
A dead laptop battery is a good as nothing. Power goes off, and your laptop follows suit. It’s disappointing. What most people do not understand is that a laptop battery can be reconditioned such that it functions just like a new one. Considering that a new laptop battery may cost even more than a new laptop, every person who owns a laptop should learn how to recondition a laptop battery. While laptops have removable and non-removable batteries, the good thing is that it is possible to recondition both removable and non-removable batteries. Below are some free solutions that can be used to recondition old laptop batteries.
- Remove the laptop battery from your laptop. Put it in a plastic bag and then place it in a freezer for approximately twelve hours. After twelve hours, remove from the bag, put it back to the laptop, and then fully charge it. If the battery does not leak, the chances are that reconditioning was a success and you may have a battery that lasts longer.
- Some laptops have to be reset to improve battery life. While this solution is a rather simple one, it is not successful in most cases. Nonetheless, it is a workable solution. This solution is more of forcing the laptop to recondition the battery. You will need to recharge the battery until it is full then unplug the laptop and leave it in that condition until the battery runs out. When the laptop goes off, do not bother recharging it. Leave it off for approximately five hours then recharge it until it is a 100% full again. This solution increases the battery life.
- Reduce your laptop’s temperature. You need to have a cooler that you will place the laptop on. This method is ideal during warmer periods.
- Recharge the battery until it is full. Unplug the charger and wait until the charge is almost 5% then plug in the charger again. Repeat this process until you have a reconditioned battery.
- If your laptop uses a removable battery, charge your laptop until the battery is full. Then remove the battery. This process is effective in reconditioning a laptop battery in that it puts on halt any chemical process in the battery thus resetting it.
Reconditioning NiCad batteries
Just like car and laptop batteries, NiCad batteries can be reconditioned. These batteries usually get damaged by the sulfur crystals that reaches the terminals, preventing the battery from charging. To recondition these batteries, you will need a capacitor, a battery holder, and a switch. Using insulated wires, stick wires to the black cylinder and connect with the switch and battery holder. Put the battery into the capacitor and the NiCad battery to the holder. Press the switch and hold on until the LED glows. This process should destroy the sulfur crystals.
Reconditioning Lead acid batteries
Lead acid batteries are admittedly expensive, making reconditioning a better choice. To recondition this battery, you will need to remove the battery and then open all the caps. If the battery does not have enough distilled water, add it and then recharge. Do not put the caps back until everything is fine. If adding distilled water does not solve the issue, a more aggressive method may be used. Get new acid, replace the existing acid, and add distilled water. Recharge the battery until it is full. You should see results.
Other than being a cost effective method, reconditioning a battery has a positive impact on the environment and the planet at large. Reconditioning a battery is very simple, and anyone can learn how to do it. Save money by reconditioning your battery.